Ruth has a unique background filled with a diversity of experiences and is no stranger to hard work and balancing multiple commitments. Being a Legislator requires stamina and a strong desire to serve. Ruth’s past experiences of maintaining a happy marriage, raising her children, continuing her education, propelling her career, and remaining committed to numerous community based activities illustrate her strong work ethic and ultimately have prepared her for the challenge of being your State Representative.
To learn specific details about Ruth’s Family, Education/Credentials/Association Memberships, Career and Public Service, please review the following:
Ruth, the youngest of three children and the only girl, was raised on a farm near Georgetown. She married her high school sweetheart, Stan King, and together they celebrate 40 years of marriage. They raised their two children, Jared and Justin, in Georgetown. Now that Ruth and Stan are “empty nesters,” they enjoy being outdoors in Sussex County and their activities center around hunting, golf, bicycling, beach and water activities ,and community events. There family is literally growing with three editions ! Jared and his wife Noelle live in Nazareth, PA and their family has grown with Gabriella age 7, Colin age 5 and Ryan age 20 months. Facetime is a must to keep up with the busy family and to watch the grandchildren grow. Justin and Amber live in Georgetown and became the parents of twin daughters , Lexi and Tori who arrived early on Mothers’ Day 2016.
Ruth continues to be an avid walker, and she is out early every morning for a couple of miles or on her bike making the rounds.
- Associate’s Degree in Medical Technology; Delaware Technical and Community College*
- Bachelor’s Degree in Applied Professions, Supervision; Wilmington College
- Master’s Degree in Human Resources, Instructional Leadership; Wilmington College
*2009: Delaware Technical and Community College selected Ruth to receive its Distinguished Alumni Award.
- Medical Laboratory Technologist, ASCP
- Clinical Laboratory Scientist, HEW
- State of Delaware, Administrator Certification
- REALTOR® Association Executive
- Society of Human Resource Managers (SHRM)
- Daughters of the American Revolution
- Women in Excellence Public Service Series
- Medical: Upon graduating from College, Ruth completed an internship and was hired at Milford Memorial Hospital. She went from the Hospital to Dickinson Medical Group where she started an independent, accredited, private laboratory. She provided a leadership role for the laboratory for 5 years and left to pursue a teaching career in Medical Assisting.
- Education: In January of 1988, Ruth joined the Kent County Vocational Technical High School as a teacher in Medical Assisting. She quickly met the requirements for her Teaching Certification and continued her education. In 1991, Ruth was the Kent VoTech Teacher of the Year and competed for Delaware’s Teacher of the Year. She excelled in Student Leadership Development and became a full time Student Activities Coordinator. While at Kent Vo-tech she was instrumental in the conversion to a full time program at Polytech High School. She helped articulate a program with Delaware Technical and Community College for her Medical Assisting students and encouraged leadership development. She missed her first profession and returned to the Medical Laboratory field in 1994.
- Executive Leadership/Management/Operations: In 1994, Ruth joined Medlab, Inc. as a Regional Manager. She quickly became the Director of External Operations which included 24 patient centers, four Stat Labs, the Courier Fleet, and customer service. Her duties later expanded to include Human Resources in all locations including Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland. She developed programs and agreements with State Agencies in those same states and was a Certified Breath Alcohol Trainer for the Department of Transportation as well as an expert witness in Delaware on the subject matter. She served on Advisory Boards for Salem Community College, the University of Delaware, and Delaware Technical and Community College while at Medlab. In 1998 she oversaw the acquisition of Medlab by LabCorp and remained as the Human Resources Officer.
- Human Resources, Vice President: In 1999, Ruth wanted to work in her community again and became the Vice President, Human Resources, Officer in Charge, at Baltimore Trust Company. She began serving on a variety of not for profit boards while at the bank as well as learning financial management. She completed studies in Compliance and Community Reinvestment Act. Her work led her to full time work in the not for profit sector. Always teaching, Ruth taught courses for the American Institute of Banking and Wilmington College. She also was a frequent speaker for the State of Delaware’s Employers Conference and developed “Finders are Keepers” recruitment presentation.
- Not for Profit Leadership: In 2004, Ruth became the Executive Vice President for First State Manufactured Housing Association where she quickly adjusted to the not for profit sector and became an advocate for property rights. She volunteered to assist at meetings for the Advisory Council on Manufactured Housing, the Relocation Trust Authority, and spearheaded the legislation for installation standards as well as safe demolition of manufactured units. Ruth embraced advocacy as a vital part of her career. She quickly earned respect for being honest and providing information to legislators so they could make informed decisions.
In 2006, Ruth brought her interest and skills back to Sussex by accepting a position as the Executive Vice President of the Sussex County Association of REALTORS®. This job fulfills several interests and enables her to work in the community where she lives and serves. Since joining the REALTORS®, Ruth has served on several committees and projects to benefit Sussex County.
- Consulting: In February 2016, Ruth initiated her consulting business enabling her to focus her interest, experience, and time on endeavors related to her expertise in strategic human resources, strategic planning, and organizational development.
- Bayshore Community Church, 14 years
- Board of Directors for Cheer
- Georgetown-Millsboro Rotary
- Georgetown Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development
- Sussex County Community Housing (Crisis House)
- University of Delaware, Sea Grant Advisory Board
- Sussex County Association of Towns
- Delaware Cancer Consortium
- Delaware Beach Bay Initiative
- Board of Directors for Oak Orchard Boys and Girls Club
- Workers Compensation task Force
- Prevailing Wage Council
- Revenue Review TASKFORCE
- Education Funding Taskforce
Milton Freidman, Regional Conference on School Choice
National Council of Legislative Leadership
Financial Literacy TaskforcePast Service:
- State of Delaware Financial Literacy Commission
- State of Delaware Financial Services and Bilingual Training Advisory Group
- Graduate of Neighborhood Works Leadership Program
- Domestic Violence Coalition, State of Delaware
- Volunteer Instructor, American Red Cross (First Responder)
- Cub Scout Leader
- Georgetown PTA, Sussex Central Parent Advisory, and numerous Booster Clubs including Team Mother in Little League, Pop Warner, Sussex Central Football, Wrestling, and Baseball.
- Sunday School Teacher, VBS Coordinator, Communion Steward at Grace United Methodist Church in Georgetown.
- Advisory Board for Sussex Tech, Delaware Technical and Community College, University of Delaware, and Star Tech.
- Middle States, Technology WorkGroup, for IRSD
- Public Allies Board of Directors
- Boys and Girls Club of Georgetown, Founding Board Member
- Interfaith Mission of Sussex County
- MDA Team in Training for Leukemia and Lymphoma: ½ Marathon 2005